Senior Systems Engineer, Software Platform
Who are we?
We’re building artificial intelligence capable of complex driving using end-to-end deep learning; one which can scale across diverse urban environments. Wayve is building a full driving software system which is data-driven at every layer, learning to drive. Our unique end-to-end machine learning approach learns to drive in complex, never-seen-before urban environments. We learn to drive with computer vision by both observing human driving, and by using reinforcement learning.
This is one of the world’s hardest and most impactful problems to solve. Which is why we’re building a diverse, world-class team of people who are motivated by the opportunity to work with brilliant people on challenging problems that leave a positive impact on society.
Where you’ll have an impact
We are looking for skilled software engineers who have the experience in shipping in production reliable and performant software for distributed, high-end computing devices. As a member of the onboard Software Platform team, you will work within an engineering team which is delivering the software for edge devices to reliably provide data, experimentation, validation, and autonomy on a large-scale fleet of vehicles. Through this role, you will have the opportunity to work with Wayve’s next-generation innovative compute and sensor platform and contribute to all phases of the software development lifecycle. Your main responsibilities as a contributor to the robot software stack will include:
- Build software to enable full sensor integration and data capture at scale and quality necessary for a fully autonomous vehicle.
- Deliver and maintain soft-real-time Linux-based applications to a fleet of embedded devices on automobiles. Including data collection and storage as well as machine learning inference on the edge.
- Create robust, fault tolerant software solutions, with comprehensive system diagnostics so we can quickly and efficiently resolve any issues preventing our deployed fleet from operating at maximum capacity.
- Design, implement, and use system monitoring tools to improve performance and resolve both ad-hoc and systemic issues.
Technologies the team is using: the onboard software is run on Nvidia Jetson devices; C++ and Rust being the main languages we use in the most of our codebase. We use many of the industry standard libraries that you'd expect i.e. ROS2 ecosystem.
What you bring to Wayve
- Programming skills in a high performance system languages like C++ and/or Rust..
- Strong understanding on how to optimally use/configure IPC middleware for high data throughput robotic applications
- Debugging skills, including an ability to delve deep on performance issues, stack traces, core dumps, slow disk writes, high system load, memory bottlenecks, eternal device bottlenecks, and threading issues.
- Knowledge of the Linux, build systems and user space device drivers.
- An understanding of how distributed systems operate, either in cloud or robotics systems, and how to make these types of systems more scalable and performant.
What we offer you
Competitive compensation with salary and equity
Immersion in a team of world-class researchers, engineers and entrepreneurs
A position to shape the future of autonomous driving and to tackle the biggest challenges of our time
Benefits such as an onsite chef, workplace nursery scheme, private health insurance, therapy, daily yoga, onsite bar, large social budgets, unlimited L&D requests, enhanced parental leave, and more!
- This is a full-time role based in our office in King’s Cross. If your role is possible to do remotely we support flexible working, including working for up to 2 weeks from anywhere in the world. We trust you to know what works best for your team and projects and ask that you have a healthy presence that enables the right meetings to happen in person and strong relationships to be built.
Wayve is built on people and their differences gives us strength. We are proud to be an equal opportunities workplace and encourage people from all walks of life to join our journey, growing and expanding with us. We don't just embrace diversity, we encourage it.
Something looks off?