Additive Manufacturing Engineer III - Process Development
VulcanForms builds and operates advanced digital infrastructure enabling the world's critical industries to innovate, grow, and deliver sustainable impact. Founded in 2015, VulcanForms invented and commercialized the world's first industrially scalable laser metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution and pioneered integrated digital production systems. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms Inc. seeks an AM Engineer III-Process Development for our Devens, MA, location.
As an AM Engineer III Process Development at VulcanForms Inc., Devens, MA, your main objective will be to design, develop, optimize, and implement a high-speed laser powder-bed fusion (LPBF) process for industrial applications. You will be part of the team to define and execute process development strategies and roadmaps for the world's most productive and advanced metal AM systems. You will conduct R&D printing experiments using our proprietary AM systems and analyze the outcomes. You will collaborate with our machine, software, controls, and materials experts to continuously improve and optimize the printing processes. Your work's primary result is to develop a qualified printing process that enables mass production of parts that meet or exceed our customers' strictest specifications and quality standards.
You will be responsible for identifying process development project deliverables and goals, managing and leading the project execution, documenting and reporting project progress and results, and communicating milestones and deliverables with leadership and stakeholders.
You will also work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to improve our AM system design and performance further. You will participate in and provide first-hand feedback on machine design and integration as well as software and control development and implementation.
- Process innovation and R&D on VulcanForms' high-speed laser powder-bed fusion process, enabling technological breakthroughs in additive manufacturing.
- Design, execute, and analyze experimental trials for process parameter development and optimize scanning strategies and process control methodologies.
- Deliver process parameters and configurations for mass production.
- Build the database and understanding of our machine and process capabilities, performance, and limitations.
- Apply a data-driven approach to enable digital manufacturing, linking digital thread data that includes machine configuration, process parameters, part geometry, in-situ sensing, and post-print inspection and evaluating results.
- Define requirements, roadmaps, and implementation strategies for new features and applications that will improve the performance or reliability of our machines and operation.
- Stay updated with cutting-edge strategies and solutions for additive manufacturing process development.
- 5+ years of industrial experience in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Materials Science, or equivalent fields
- Deep understanding and expertise in powder-bed fusion (PBF) or directed energy deposition (DED)
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in laser-related process development
- Experience with the Design of Experiments (DOE) and process optimization, familiarity with Minitab or JMP
- Familiarity with programming languages such as python and MATLAB
- Practical knowledge of metallurgy of alloys, including steel, aluminum, titanium, and nickel alloys
- Experience with AM-related software (Magics, nTopology, etc.) and CAD software (Creo, Autodesk Inventor, etc.)
- Materials characterization experience (metallography, SEM, etc.)
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, with a practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance are available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package, including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and company-paid federal holidays
- 401(k) with company match and stock options