Senior Product Engineer
VulcanForms builds and operates advanced digital infrastructure enabling the world's critical industries to innovate, grow, and deliver sustainable impact. Founded in 2015, VulcanForms invented and commercialized the world's first industrially scalable laser metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution and pioneered integrated digital production systems. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms Inc. seeks a Senior Product Engineer, for our Devens, MA location.
As Senior Product Engineer at VulcanForms Inc., Devens, MA, you will be the technical lead of product design innovations. You will leverage our capability in digital manufacturing processes such as additive manufacturing and precision machining, to provide design and production solutions to our customers and enable the end-to-end value stream execution. You will work closely with our customers to establish success criteria, apply DfAM (Design for Additive Manufacturing) expertise to enable part printability and manufacturability. You will help drive the technology maturation to ensure quality and success of mass production. Collaboration across all functions of the production processes, including post-processing and machining, and the organized management of customer programs will lead to success in this role.
As a technical lead, you will be assessed based on your ability to interpret customer needs and specifications. You will translate these requirements into product design and manufacturing innovation to enable the mass production and provide high qualify parts to the customer. Your responsibilities include but not limited to the design and optimization of AM print orientation, support strategy, powder evacuation methods, print layout, and support removal strategy. To facilitate part production, you will be working closely with our business development managers and sales in our Commercial organization, as well as production and supply chain managers and leaders in our Operations organization.
Applicants with experience optimizing customer designs for additive and subtractive manufacturing are highly sought. Those with a background in industries medical, defense, or aircraft engine applications, are also strongly encouraged to apply. Familiarity with critical industry specification and quality requirements is key to being a technical leader.
- Design innovation for additive and/or subtractive opportunities to meet customer needs
- Definition and clear communication of customer success criteria to internal stakeholders and contributors
- Engagement of customer throughout initial introduction to VulcanForms’ technology as well as execution of program
- Define and execute the roadmap and strategy to accelerate DfAM technology maturation and deliver technical solutions to enable large-scale serial production
- Partnership across all organizations of VulcanForms Inc, including but not limited to Commercial, Operations, Engineering and Quality departments
- Preparation of key technical customer presentations and project management report
- 10+ years of industrial experience in Mechanical Engineering, Design Engineering, or work equivalent
- 5+ years in design (DfAM) and analysis of parts additively manufactured from nickel-based superalloys, titanium alloys, or high-strength steels.
- Experience in CAD/Additive Manufacturing platforms such as: NX, Creo, Inventor, Materialise Magics, nTopology, or Solidworks
- Expertise in GD&T, as well as interpretation of customer/industry specifications and documentation requirements
- Master’s degree with 7+ years, or Ph.D. degree with 5+ years of industrial experience
- Experience in managing technical program or project execution
- Quality / MRB substantiation experience, i.e., identify root cause, develop corrective actions and critical solutions.
- Experience in precision machining and/or robotic process automation
- Background in mechanical properties of structural alloys, heat treatment, surface finishing, etc.
- Experience in CMM/Structured Light Inspection Data Assessment & Interpretation
- Strong sense of ownership and dedication to customer commitments
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, with a practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals.
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance are available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package, including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays
- 401(k) with company match and stock options