Vice President of Systems Engineering
VulcanForms builds and operates advanced digital infrastructure enabling the world's critical industries to innovate, grow, and deliver sustainable impact. Founded in 2015, VulcanForms invented and commercialized the world's first industrially scalable laser metal additive manufacturing (AM) solution and pioneered integrated digital production systems. We are a team of leading technology and operational experts with decades of experience in advanced manufacturing, materials, automation, and robotics. We continuously seek contributors who demonstrate outstanding integrity, intelligence, accountability, and a passion for learning. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
VulcanForms Inc. seeks a Vice President of Systems Engineer for our Devens, MA, location.
As the Vice President of Systems Engineering at VulcanForms Inc., Devens, MA, your main objective will be to build and support the world's most productive and advanced metal Additive Manufacturing (AM) systems. VulcanForms Inc. is a manufacturer of complex, high value engineered components in serial production at the world's most powerful additive foundry.
You will lead the engineering teams responsible for developing the laser powder bed printer, including laser, optics, automation, CNC, powder, gas flow, and controls. This crucial role is responsible for the complete engineering life cycle, including supporting current products and creating new printer systems.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Digital Manufacturing.
- Drive technical direction for the printer systems so that the solutions align with VulcanForms' business goals.
- Create technical roadmaps for the printer subsystems that ensure significant differentiation or disruption versus all competitors.
- Work closely with the operations team to support and introduce new technologies to the production machines.
- Create technical solutions to improve the build, commissioning, and printing processes.
- Drive technical root cause investigations and corrective action plans.
- Accelerate design, development, and deployment speed through engineering development process improvements.
- Responsible for team growth and development to ensure the team is engaged, energized, and productive.
- Direct major suppliers regarding critical subsystems to ensure on-time and on-budget performance.
- Own the support for reliability and engineering of the production printers.
- Work across disciplines, including materials, applications, process development, sales, and marketing, to ensure that the printers meet VulcanForms and customer needs.
- Manage and lead the project execution, documentation, and reporting of project progress and results, and communicating milestones and deliverables to senior leadership and stakeholders
- Develop intellectual property for all printer systems.
- Work with a cross-disciplinary internal team to improve our AM system design and performance further.
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, Masters’ degree in engineering, systems engineering or equivalent with 8+ years of relevant work experience
- 8+ years of experience managing engineering teams
- 8+ years of experience leading engineering product development from early stage to production deployment
- Experience designing complex engineering systems
- Track record of building and maintaining solid relationships with both internal and external partners
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Thorough understanding and use of technical principles, theories, and concepts in mechanical and systems engineering
- Broad exposure to mechanical design and development practices in a development and production manufacturing environment
- Ability to resolve complex issues in a creative, efficient, and effective way
- Advanced degree in systems engineering
- Leadership experience with new product development of metal additive systems
- Design or operational experience with laser metal additive systems
- Product roadmap experience in the metal additive industry
- Experience owning safety issues in a powder, laser, or manufacturing environment
- Strong sense of ownership
- Team player with excellent communication skills
- Excited about taking on new challenges in the metal additive manufacturing industry and working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Self-motivated, hands-on, practical mindset, and capable of setting and reaching ambitious goals
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance are available to you starting on your first day of employment
- Generous time off package including vacation PTO, sick PTO, and 11 company-paid federal holidays
- 401(k) with company match and stock options