Sr. Hardware Test Engineer (Software)
Other Engineering, Quality Assurance
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
We're building safety-enhancing technology for aviation that will save lives. Automated aviation systems will enable a future where air transportation is safer, more convenient and fundamentally transformative to the way goods — and eventually people — move around the planet. We are a team of mission-driven engineers with experience across aerospace, robotics and self-driving cars working to make this future a reality.
As a Senior Hardware Test Engineer at Reliable Robotics, you will be a critical part of the Mechanical Engineering team. This is a small group of highly motivated engineers designing, testing, and flying advanced mechanical systems. We’re looking for a broadly experienced software engineer that combines the fields of software, electrical, and mechanical engineering to help us develop our mechanical testing operation and bridge the gap between disciplines.
The position will be located at our facility in Mountain View, California, reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
In your role as a Senior Hardware Test Engineer, you will be building our mechanical test infrastructure from the ground up. This is a clean slate opportunity to grow our primitive bench testing into a production worthy operation. You will be architecting the software and hardware platforms for the command, control and data acquisition systems that will validate and certify our systems to rigorous aerospace testing standards. You will be designing automated test stands to replicate extreme flight conditions on our hardware (functional, structural, fatigue, and environmental). We need you to break our development hardware, help root-cause the failure modes, and provide critical input in redesigning it. You will be a technical leader on a team eager to learn and grow.
Basic Success Criteria
- 5+ years of related experience
- BS Degree in Software, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent industry experience
- Mastery of industry-standard testing instrumentation and data collection methods such as NI DAQ, UEI DAQ, LabJack, etc.; ability to design a data acquisition system from the ground up
- Experience with software design and implementation in C/C++/Python
- Thorough understanding of electrical hardware and sensors
- Working knowledge of measurement and data analysis; ability to clearly present technical data and state its limitations
- Eagerness for hands-on work - integration of sensors, building harnesses, diagnosing and debugging testing equipment
- Eagerness to learn, teach, and adapt; help us grow as both a development and production operation
- 8+ years experience in aerospace test planning and execution
- Previous experience with aerospace environmental testing; thermal, humidity, vibration, shock, etc.
- Previous experience managing and organizing large datasets
- Professional knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals
- Foresight into the simplification and automation of testing where practicable
- Experience in hiring and building outstanding test teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The mechanical team has a wealth of knowledge to share, a strong desire to learn, and a passion for building safe mechanisms and robust structures. As a member of our team, you will play a key role in the development of the novel hardware that will transform the future of flight. From component level thermal testing to instrumenting our aircraft with a sensor suite for flight testing, you will also closely interface with our software, avionics, and flight operations teams as we ramp up our testing operations. The cross-functional nature of this role also lends itself to mentoring opportunities across the entire company.
Must be willing to travel up to 10% of the time.
The estimated salary range for this position is $156,500 to $211,000. At Reliable Robotics, we strive to provide competitive and rewarding compensation based on experience and expertise, as well as market conditions, location, and pay equity.
In addition to base compensation, Reliable Robotics offers stock options, employee medical, 401k contribution, great co-workers and a casual work environment.
Reliable Robotics does not presently sponsor candidates for employment visas. In order to comply with export control regulations applicable to our technology and products, all candidates for this position must reside in the United States and be “U.S. persons” for purposes of the Export Administration Regulations (i.e., a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident, or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as refugees or granted asylum in the U.S.) or otherwise eligible to access our technologies without an export license.
At Reliable Robotics, our goal is to be a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, ancestry, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability or medical conditions, national origin, military or veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment and promotion is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing an application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
See more open positions at Reliable Robotics
Something looks off?