System Software Engineer - Edge Platform Team
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Instrumental works with the world’s most admired electronics brands like Bose, Cisco, SolarEdge, and others to significantly reduce the 20 cents of every dollar spent in manufacturing that is wasted. Our mission is to cut that waste in half and we’re building a fundamentally new product and technology to do so.
About the Team:
In this role, you will enhance and grow the IoT platform that is core to our in-factory systems.
The team focuses on building software for a distributed fleet of sensors and computers that capture critical manufacturing data, operate around the clock, and are deployed throughout the world. These systems and the data they gather are considered mission-critical to the manufacturing operations of our customers. They operate in remote, and at times, hostile networking environments where they need to be able to independently execute our real-time ML algorithms and seamlessly reconnect to upload data when a network connection is interrupted.
Key Missions for This Role:
- Own the Instrumental factory platform. As a Software Engineer on this team, you’ll take responsibility for the platform and you’ll lead high-impact initiatives through the entire software development life cycle, from early planning and design to deployment and maintenance.
- Build end-to-end solutions that deliver a great factory experience. Building a fantastic product requires more than writing high-quality code. In this role, the impact of your work on customers, their factory counterparts, and internal users will always be near top of mind. You’ll work with product, operations, and solutions architecture staff to gather user requirements and feedback, and with the ML team to deliver best-in-class defect and anomaly detection algorithms to the edge.
- Develop reliable software and an automated release pipeline. As a startup, we have to move fast. Yet, it’s essential that our customers and their factory counterparts can confidently deploy our systems to high-stakes production lines. In this role, you will write clean, performant, maintainable code, including robust, meaningful tests (unit, integration, end-to-end). You'll work with the SRE team to build the tools needed to deliver frequent updates to our distributed fleet, such as: software metrics, monitoring dashboards, alerts, automated builds, and release automation.
- Be a helpful teammate. This isn’t a solo job. You’ll work not only with your Edge Platform & Applications teammates, but with other software engineers, solutions architects / sales engineers, product, and operations staff in a quest to improve the way that things are made. We value an inclusive environment and actively work to promote diversity in our team.
We'd Love to Chat if You Have:
- A mission-driven mindset – you are excited about building software with impact and honing a mastery of your craft
- 5+ years of professional experience writing and maintaining stable, production-quality code
- Proficiency in one or more systems programming languages: C, C++, Rust, etc.
- Proficiency in one or more scripting languages: Python, Bash, etc.
- Experience developing Linux systems and the associated tools: Buildroot, Yocto, Docker, etc. Experience with systems programming or application development targeting Linux systems
- Experience with embedded systems or interest in learning the domain
- Great communication skills and a willingness to work cross-functionally
Bonus Points if You Have Experience With:
- Support and maintenance of buildroot-based operating system
- Network protocols and common topologies
- System, application, or network security
- OTA updates of Linux devicesHardware or manufacturing
- Application development using Docker, Node.js and C++ native modules, SQLite, GraphQL, and Angular.
This position requires access to items and data that are developed under U.S. government contracts and subject to dissemination controls that limit access to U.S. citizens only.
We’re a growing team that works collaboratively, supports each other, and is energized by having impact. We value passion and the ability to learn – you’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t match the job description precisely!
The following is a representative annual base salary range for this position within the Bay Area: $181,000 - $195,000. This position is additionally eligible for variable incentives. In addition, job level and salary opportunities are evaluated through our interview process – we review the experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of each applicant.
Instrumental is proud to offer a highly-rated variety of benefits, including health, vision, dental, commuter plans, and parental leave.