Lead / Principal UX Designer
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 6, 2023
Manufacturing represents half of the world’s GDP, but 20 cents of every dollar spent is wasted on things like scrap, rework, product returns, mistakes, experiments, and underutilized human resources. Put simply: solving problems in manufacturing is too hard, too inefficient, and too analog.
Instrumental is a software company with the mission of eliminating half of that unnecessary waste by accelerating product maturity in manufacturing. We empower hardware companies to optimize their factories through artificial intelligence and unprecedented data access. Thanks to Instrumental, startups and Fortune 500 hardware companies alike are increasing yields, accelerating time-to-market, and reducing the frequency of recalls and production delays.
About the Role:
As a member of Instrumental’s Design team, you’ll play a vital role in helping us create a new category of software to accelerate the transformation of the manufacturing industry. By leveraging partnerships with product and engineering, you will build tools that give hardware engineers the superpowers to find and fix the issues that drive real-world waste.
The best person for this role has experience driving the full lifecycle of enterprise software design, from up-front research, insights, and strategy, though to ideation, prototyping, and testing, and to delivery of final designs, to build engaging and impactful tools. They have not only leveraged this experience themselves, they have mentored other designers in best design practices.
We’re looking for someone who can do 20 - 40 hours per week, for a minimum of three months.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Solving complex UX challenges, empowering hardware engineers to find and fix manufacturing issues by leveraging advanced AI through user friendly interfaces.
- Using your years of experience to quickly move projects forward, applying domain expertise, establishing best practices, and effectively advocating for your point of view.
- Creating sketches, wireframes, high fidelity comps, prototypes, and written documentation to support design ideation, exploration, communication, and implementation.
- Collaborating with Product & Engineering to guide the product strategy through a UX lens.
We’re Looking for Someone Who:
- Has 5+ years of UX design experience, preferably working on B2B enterprise applications.
- Is self-motivated and able to drive a project forward without close supervision.
- Engages with the product strategy and vision, grounding their specific design explorations and decisions in clearly articulated rationales which advance our strategic priorities.
- Will uplevel our design practice, leveraging their experience + industry best practices to implement impactful process improvements and mentor mid-level designers.
- Has a portfolio which demonstrates strong interaction and visual design capabilities.
We’d Love to Chat if You Have:
- Experience creating UX solutions aimed at serving a complex specialty (e.g. engineers, scientists, or medical professionals), especially if it had a heavy AI or analytics component.
- Experience working with the manufacturing industry, either on a software solution within the space, or working for a high volume consumer electronics manufacturer.
- Voracious curiosity - you want to know how things are made, why they’re made that way, and how they could be made better.
We’re a growing team that consistently works collaboratively, is supportive of each other, and is highly energized by the opportunity for large impact. We actively work to promote an inclusive environment, valuing passion and the ability to learn. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description!
The following is a representative hourly range for this position within the Bay Area: $92 - $103/ hr. In addition, job level & salary opportunity is evaluated through our interview process – we review experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of each applicant.
All candidates must have an unrestricted right to work in the U.S.
See more open positions at Instrumental
Something looks off?