Software Application Engineer
Software Application Engineer
Forge - Newton, MA
Forge is a technology-enabled trades company with mobile, web, and smart-glasses software
applications that enable our professionals in the field and create amazing experiences for our
customers. We are innovating rapidly within the professional home services industry – an
industry that has barely changed in the last 100 years. Why? Because hiring tradespeople or
contractors to do even simple tasks is a frustrating and time-consuming process for customers.
There are many reasons for this, but one of the biggest is the shortage of skilled tradespeople in
the U.S. — the result of long-term trends that have pushed entry-level workers away from the
At Forge, we are focused on building the next generation of trades professionals and the
software that will help make them successful. We believe more skilled workers, enabled by
modern technology, will power a wholly new (and vastly improved) customer experience for all.
About Your Role
Forge is growing rapidly and we’re looking for someone to join our Software Engineering team!
This person will build out web applications to support our customers and Pros in the field. You
will solve technical problems, and ship working, production-ready code. You will participate in
our scrum process and provide effort estimations on user stories that define our products. You
will work closely with our product & project managers, test engineers, and technical leaders as
we move at a rapid pace.
- Write and ship well-tested, production-ready code for our products and applications, utilizing a variety of technologies;
- Manage your repository environment based on our best practices;
- Actively engage with our scrum process;
- Identify & repair issues identified by our testing team;
- Write good unit tests and check your code thoroughly for bugs;
- Provide pull request code reviews for your peers;
- Document your technical decisions clearly and concisely;
- Work closely with other departments: Pro team, Operations, etc.
- 2-7 years of experience writing and shipping software professionally;
- Experience with a major web application framework (Vue, React, Angular), Vue experience highly desirable;
- Development background working with Node.js, preferably in a microservices environment;
- Proficiency in data structures, algorithms, and software design;
- Experience or familiarity with architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications;
- Database management experience, particularly with SQL & DynamoDB;
- Experience with RESTful Services and APIs, and/or GraphQL interfaces;
- Experience deploying code in an Amazon Web Services cloud infrastructure; experience working with the Serverless Framework highly desirable;
- Great communication skills. You must be able to communicate technical information to other software engineers, our testing team, and our product managers;
- Good team player; ability to work closely with an experienced software team and collaborate effectively;
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a Computer Science-related field is desirable, but not a hard requirement. Must show significant coding aptitude;
- You should be a quick learner who is comfortable working in a highly agile startup environment where rapid change is a constant;
- Ability to get work done and meet deadlines with minimal direct supervision.
- Experience writing unit tests in a production environment;
- DevOps or database experience working within AWS;
- CI/CD pipeline background;
- Experience tracking your work in Atlassian Jira and writing good documentation;
- Agile development experience, or experience setting up Agile processes;
- Experience working with Machine Learning models;
- Experience in the Trades and strong interest in learning the ins/outs up close.
At Forge, we value innovation, teamwork, and a commitment to excellence. We're dedicated to creating a supportive and collaborative environment where individuals can grow professionally and make a real impact. We offer competitive salaries, equity, benefits, flexible working arrangements, and a dynamic culture of intelligent, hard-working, and creative individuals.